Friday, January 15, 2010

I started learning basic Sanskrit today. Well, I've had a series of false starts in the past week, wherein I was trying to find a class. I found a class through a yoga teacher friend, but it started a month ago, and the teacher doesn't know when he'll do another beginning course. So I've been trying to set up private study with him, and that's been a challenge, since both of our schedules seem always to be changing, and, well, let's just say we've been emailing each other back and forth, and have failed to connect. He did suggest some good books for self-study, though, and today I drove over to the Vedanta temple bookstore, and bought two of them, along with a set of books recommended by the nice lady who worked there.
So this afternoon, I dove into "Introduction to Sanskrit" by Thomas Egenes, and I like this book very much so far. He's split a complicated language into digestible chunks, and I've completed lesson 1. It is fun! I am so excited to be learning a new language, my god, it's been years.

No comments: